Charleston, Calhoun Street, Old Citadel
The old Citadel on Marion Square, 1865. Part of Horn Works in foreground. This was the site of the city's northern defenses constructed before and during the American Revolution. The Citadel, and the military college that was established here in 1842, took its name from an earlier Citadel constructed at this location when Charleston was still an English colony.
Charleston, SC. Photo taken by Union military photographer sometime after city's official surrender in 1865
Photo and text posted: 17 November 2010
Revised: 28 November 2010
Copyright references: Library of Congress, LOC; image is believed to be in public domain