flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Old Michigan City Lighthouse

Historic Old Michigan City Lighthouse in Michigan City, LaPorte County, Indiana. The station was established in 1835 and the current lighthouse was built in 1858. It has been inactive since 1904 when the Michigan City East Pierhead Light was illuminated. The light was in a tower mounted on a 2-story brick and wood keeper's house. The building was used until 1940 as the keeper's quarters for the Michigan City East Pierhead Light. It is now the Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum.

 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 (NRHP Structure #74000023). Also listed on the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and Structures.

 

ARLHS No. USA-913

 

Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS No. IN-99 as the Michigan City Lighthouse).

992 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on July 31, 2011