new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Bishop Rock Lighthouse, Scilly Islands, Cornwall, England | by Karl Agre, M.D.
Back to photostream

Bishop Rock Lighthouse, Scilly Islands, Cornwall, England

A close-up view of the lantern room and the helipad.

 

Bishop Rock is the largest of the westerly outcrops of the Scilly Islands. A lighthouse was first built on this precarious location in 1850, but soon washed away. it was replaced with a 150 foot tower composed of interlocking granite blocks modeled after the Eddystone lighthouse. Even this was not completely safe from severe winter gales and a new tower was built around the older from 1883-87 with the addition of the huge round granite base pictured in the photo. The new tower height was 162 feet high with a flashing white light visible for 24 miles. In 1976 a helipad was added so the light could be serviced without a dangerous sea voyage.

734 views
0 faves
1 comment
Taken on August 17, 2012