Butchart Gardens, Victoria Area, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
One of the world's great gardens. The site was originally a limestone quarry in the late 1800's until the quarry was exhausted in 1909. Owners Robert Pim Butchart and wife Jennie, particularly the latter, began converting the quarry into a magnificent garden the centerpiece of which is the sunken garden completed in 1921. Numerous additions followed, an Italian garden, a rose garden and fountains and sculpture. The garden is still owned by heirs of the original family.