new street lamp on Market St. Corning NY 1915
In 1915, The Corning Chamber of Commerce. city officials and citizens worked together to have street lights installed on Market St. All of the ugly telephone and electrical wires and poles were taken down [the two tall wooden poles in the picture were removed shortly after this picture was taken. The street lights were operated from dusk until 11 PM when all but three lights per block were turned off.
Note the sign for the Princess Theater. After the flood of 1972, the remodeled Market St. as a new theater installed at this location.
Source of Photograph: The American City [The Civic Press; New York, NY], Vol. XIII, Jul-Dec, 1915