Sao Bento Railway Station, Oporto
The São Bento railway station (Portuguese: estação ferroviária de São Bento) is a 20th-century railway station in the civil parish of Cedofeita, Santo Ildefonso, Sé, Miragaia, São Nicolau e Vitória, in the municipality of Porto, district of Porto. The English translation of São Bento is Saint Benedict. The station is located in the Historic Centre of Oporto, which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site and as a National Monument of Portugal.
This building was constructed over a number of years, starting in 1904, based on plans by architect José Marques da Silva. The large panels of azulejo tile were designed and painted by Jorge Colaç; they were completed in 1916 and the station was then inaugurated. The murals represent moments in the country's history and the multicolored panels depict rural scenes showing the people of various regions.