George J. Hopkins (1834-1910)
This monument to industrialist George J. (1834-1910) and Adelia M. Hopkins (1840-1899) Roberts in Woodland Cemetery depicts a woman in mourning holding a wreath. The statue was carved from lovely white marble, and is unblemished by visitors. The epitaph reads: “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” George J. Roberts & Company, at the corner of Second and Mill Streets in Dayton, manufactured steam pumps and hydraulic machinery.
Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum, at 118 Woodland Avenue in Dayton, Ohio, opened as a Victorian rural cemetery in 1841 and today is the final resting place for over 107,000 former residents. There are over 3,000 trees scattered across its 200 acres, leading to its designation as an arboretum. Woodland’s Romanesque gateway, chapel, and office were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and feature beautiful Tiffany stained glass windows.