The Pilgrim IV
Designed by Albin Polasek, former head of the Art Institute of Chicago's sculpture department, “The Pilgrim” is a bronze statue, now stained green, of an elderly woman walking toward the mausoleum belonging to the Stejskal-Buchal family. It’s now sometimes simply called “Death” or “Walking Death.”
Bohemian National Cemetery, at 5255 N. Pulaski Road in Chicago, Illinois, was created in 1877 by Chicago’s ethnic Czech community, and has since expanded to 126 acres. Approximately 120,000 of the city’s former residents are buried here, including victims of the SS Eastland shipwreck. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.