Netherlands - Heusden
Heusden is a town in the South of the Netherlands. It is located between the towns Waalwijk and 's-Hertogenbosch.
At the beginning of the Eighty Years' War (1568-1648), Heusden was occupied by the Spanish. In 1577, however, Heusden allied with William, Prince of Orange. William consolidated the town's strategic position near the river Meuse, and ordered fortification works to be constructed.
By the early nineteenth century, the defence works fell into disrepair and were dismantled. In 1968, however, extensive restoration works started, and fortifications were carefully rebuilt.
In 1980, the city of Heusden received the European Urbes Nostrae restoration prize.