new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Pirate bar at night | by Zee-Mastor
Back to photostream

Pirate bar at night

This is a modified "Captain Bar" DIY dollhouse. The original kit cost $20, and had a lot of potential. I've always been a big "Pirates of the Caribbean" fan (the Disneyland ride, not so much the movie), so I decided to make this dollhouse into a Pirate Bar.

 

The current wave of DIY dollhouses were intentionally designed to *NOT* have a storefront. I had to make one from scratch by cutting up an MDF clipboard.

 

The original height of the bar was a little bit under 6", which would make the ceilings low and look a bit claustrophobic. I increased the building height by 3/4" to bring it to 1:18 scale, and also make it fit an October Toys skeleton.

 

Other mods:

 

Replaced the printed "wood" wallpaper with actual wood paneling.

 

Replaced the printed "stone" floors with stones cut from an egg carton, painted, varnished and grouted with spackling paste.

 

Replaced the "beer mugs" with pieces cut from a Bic pen, instead of using the included aquarium tubing.

 

Replaced the solid block treasure chest with a handmade one that opens and closes and contains a pile of pieces o' eight.

 

Increased the height of the furniture by cutting new panels in plywood. Also re-did the barstools with a larger seat and made them higher to match the new furniture height.

 

Added 2 additional bottle racks and made more bottles.

 

Used a wood chisel to taper the wood barrels. The original instructions were to simply glue a stack of concentric discs together and I thought that looked awful.

 

Made a bunch of pirate cutlasses by cutting a Macbook plastic tray, shaping them into a cutlass shape and gluing them to the hilts of cocktail party swords.

 

Pirate skull wall decor was made from a skull from a Halloween bracelet cut in half. Crossbones carved from basswood and painted.

 

Scanned "Pirates of the Caribbean" posters from one of my books and printed them in miniature, and made picture frames for them.

 

The instructions were vague about what to do with the wiring, circuit board and battery, so I built a "stone" chimney on the outside to hide all that.

 

805 views
3 faves
1 comment
Taken on October 13, 2016