Varlaam was a hermit who first lived on this pinnacle of rock about 1350, delving a few cells and building a small church to the Three Taxiarchs. In 1548 the current monastery was built under the direction of the brothers Theofanis and Nectarios Apsarades from Ioannina, who devoved their family's wealth to the project. The stairs giving access to the building were only built in 1923, breaking the centuries-old isolation of the monastery.
Better seen large.
This photo is in 40 groups
- AYR Photos - Welcome level - POST IN INVITE THREAD 7,636 items
- LUOGHI MAGICI (1 Post - 1 Com - 1 Inv ) - 17° Contest/SPAREGGIO 56,244 items
- Flowers/Birds/Landscapes - *POST 1 - COMMENT 3 - DON´T RUN * 5,288 items
- GREEN - Level No. 3 (Post 1, Award 4) 116,887 items
- YELLOW - Level No. 2 (Post 1, Award 4) 178,792 items
- RED - Level No. 1 (Post 1, Award 4) 378,557 items