Santa Maria di Macereto
In 1359 a caravan trasporting a wooden statue of a Madonna, from Loreto to the Kingdom of Naples, stopped on this plateau, at 1000m of altitude, when mules suddenly kneeled down and refused to go further, stubbornly resisting the kicks of their masters. The local people saw in this a divine sign, and they left the statue there, builing a shrine around it.
The shrine was rebuilt in 1529 under the supervision of Giovan Battista da Lugano, who developed an earlier project by Bramante, and it was completed in 1556 by Filippo Salvi da Bissone. Its fine structure, with an octagonal plant and three gates, represents one of the architectural pearls of the Renaissance in the Piceno area.