Best at Home Tools for Dental Health
Sure, your dentist has plenty of specialized tools at their office to keep your teeth in tip-top shape. But, what should you use at home to keep your teeth shiny, clean and healthy? Here’s our go-to list of the best tools to keep in your bathroom at home.
1. A toothbrush. This should go without saying. A toothbrush is probably the most important tooth tool to have in your home. You don’t need to spend a fortune on your toothbrush, but get a quality brush and replace it when it gets worn down, which will likely be in six months or less depending on how aggressively you brush.
2. Toothpaste. There are literally hundreds of types of toothpaste on the market and it can make choosing the right one difficult. Fortunately, almost any toothpaste from a reputable brand will suffice. And if you have sensitive teeth, look for a sensitive toothpaste to help make brushing pain free.
3. Floss. We get it, no one likes to floss. However, floss is one of the most important parts of your dental health. It allows you to clean between your teeth, an area that brushes tend to miss. So floss regularly!
4. Mouthwash. A lot of mouthwash commercials make it seem like mouthwash is the only things you should need in your bathroom. Unfortunately that just isn’t true. Mouthwash isn’t a replacement for flossing and brushing. However, it does do a great job of killing bacteria in your mouth and freshening your breath. So, don’t make it the only thing you use for your teeth, but it should definitely have a spot in your cabinet!
5. Water-pik. Now we’re getting to the more intense tools. Water-piks are essentially dental squirt guns. They spray a thin, high-speed jet of water and are great for helping dislodge pieces of food and to clean between your teeth. Like mouthwash, they aren’t a replacement for brushing and flossing, but they are a great way to augment your teeth cleaning routine, especially if you’re someone with braces or if you find that food gets caught in your teeth regularly.
6. Teeth whitening strips. So, we have to suggest these with some caveats. Most teeth whitening strips use some combination of chemicals to get your teeth whiter and in some cases, these chemicals can be bad for your teeth. So, if you’re interested in whitening your teeth, talk to your dentist. They can recommend the best method for you.
If you use these six things regularly, your teeth will be in great shape! And if you have questions about any of them, just ask your dentist. They’ll be able to give you some great recommendations to make sure your teeth stay healthy and clean.