Pacific Coast Canning Company
Founded in 1904 in Oakland by Lew Hing, the original Pacific Cannery building is shown above. After the 1906 earthquake, owner Lew Hing took in hundreds of refugees from San Francisco and gave them food & shelter throughout his property.
He chose this location becasue of its immediate access to the Bay Area and the rest of the country via the train. The 16th St. Train Station is a few blocks away, allowing fresh fruit to be brought in and canned fruit to be taken back through the loading dock on the west side of the building.