Gairnshiel Bridge, Scottish Highlands
This old bridge, over the River Gairn in the Scottish Highlands
was constructed as part of a military road and dates from 1751. A network of roads were built by General Wade, providing easier access for English troops to subdue rebellious Scots.
It's still in use today and tourists stop to watch vehicles cross as it's hump-backed and drivers can't see if anything is coming the other way! Evidence of other military roads can be seen in may locations throughout the Highlands.
The road forms one of the routes North-South through the Highlands, and passes to the East side of the Cairngorm mountains through wonderful scenery. This section is between Braemar (where the Queen goes on holiday every year) and Tomintoul, claimed to be the highest village in Scotland.
The purple colour of the heather always brightens up a picture taken in the Scottish countryside in late Summer onwards.