Kempsey NSW - Railway Hotel, formerly Court House Hotel - built 1885 with extensions and renovations undertaken in 1922 - heritage listed
Robert Masterton was the owner-builder of The Court House Hotel now Railway Hotel in 1884. Masterton’s old pub wraps itself around the corner of Kemp and Belgrave Streets and remains easily distinguishable from The Kemp Street additions made in 1922 by John Brosnan. The tiled section is the old, the brick the new. Masterton’s ground appears to have extended northward beyond the railway goods yard. There was a cinder track for gaslight foot racing. The Court House Hotel became the Railway hotel in 1919 during John Brosnan’s ownership, which started in 1910. Brosnan fought a long battle with the Department of Railways, which wanted to demolish the hotel to make way for the railway line in 1917. The Department agreed to route the line past, instead of through the hotel.