Moira West Junction

A British Railways three car 'Suburban' diesel-mechanical multiple unit and a four car 'Suburban' diesel-mechanical multiple unit pass Moira West Junction signal box on the Up Goods line forming a Burton On Trent to Coalville special in connection with the Coalville open day. Sunday 31st May 1987

 

Moira West Junction signal box is located by the Down Goods line to the east of Spring Cottage Road overbridge in Overseal, and is a Midland Railway type 2b design which opened on 14th June 1896 fitted with a 30 lever Midland Railway Tumbler frame, replacing an 1872-built signal box located on the Up side of the line closer to Spring Cottage Road overbridge. On 13th August 1978 a number of individual function switches were installed making a number of levers in the frame redundant. And on 14th December 1986 a British Railways London Midland Region individual function switch panel replaced the lever frame and individual function switches. The panel carries the name Moira West but sectional appendix still shows the name unchanged Moira West Junction. The signal box was out of use for a period in the mid-1990s due to a lack of traffic, and was refurbished and rewindowed in the early 2000s

 

Ref no 07398

David Hayes and Dave Harris faved this
469 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on May 31, 1987
  • Epson PerfectionV700
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 1 group
This photo is in 1 album
undefined

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context