Cobb Mansion Bed & Breakfast, Virginia City, Nevada. Built 1876.
Herman J. Harris bought the lots on which the Cobb Mansion lies on November 11th, 1875, after the Great Fire of 1875 burned down most of Virginia city just the month before. The home that had stood on this site was a victim of the fire and Mr. Harris bought the now empty lots to build a new, even more beautiful home.
Mr. Harris was listed in the 1880 census as a 'Tobacconist" and we have learned that he owned a cigar shop on 'C' Street. The census also tells us that he lived in the mansion with his wife, Billie, two sons and a daughter, his brother Samuel, as well as an Irish servant. It is evident from the size and beauty of his home that he was a successful local businessman. The 1878 Business Directory for Virginia City, as well as the 1880 census, lists his residence as 6 S. 'A' Street (the house number back in the 1800's that was later changed to 18 S. 'A' Street) and that he was a partner in the business called 'Harris and Brothers'.
The Harris family owned the home until 1933, when William Cobb and his wife, whose maiden name was Harris, bought the house in the middle of the Great Depression for $300.00, paying for it in three $100.00 payments. Ty Cobb, the famous Reno Gazette columnist was raised in this house and the Cobb family owned and occupied the home until 1975, when Donald and Debbie Ford purchased the house.