Gravestones St Pancras Old Church
"The Hardy Tree". In 1866 the newly built Midland Railway cut through St Pancras churchyard. At that time the novelist Thomas Hardy was a trainee architect employed to relocate graves for the reburial of corpses.
However the tombstones around the tree have nothing to do with Hardy's work, They were taken from St Giles Cemetery, and left here in a dome shaped pile. An ash tree seeded itself and grew up through the gravestones moving them upwards and growing over them as it did so.