Watt & Shand
Watt & Shand was a department store that operated in Lancaster, Pennsylvania from 1879 to 1992.
The Watt & Shand building is done in the Beaux Arts style and is located at Penn Square in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The oldest section of the building, facing East King Street, dates from 1898 and was designed by C. Emlen Urban. In 1916 and 1925, major additions extended the building toward South Queen Street. In 1999, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
From 2006 - 2009, the building saw extensive renovations and additions and is now the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square and the Lancaster County Convention Center. There was a good bit of controversy regarding this project. Questions were raised about several issues - the necessity and profitability of a convention center, a hotel tax to fund the project, and the complete demolition of everything but the original facade of the Watt & Shand building. So far, the convention center is operating at a deficit.
info compiled from wiki, Lancaster Online, and Lancaster History.