Fort Rodney Wall and Sailboat
A sailing ketch passes near Fort Rodney at Pigeon Point, Saint Lucia.
Pigeon Island, only some 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of the French base at Fort Royal, Martinique, had long been recognized by the British Admiral Rodney as an important observation and defensive site. In 1780 he wrote “… this is the post the Governor of Martinique had set his eye on and if possessed by the enemy would deprive us of the best anchorage place in these islands and from which Martinique is always attackable…”
Fort Rodney was built in 1778 with an armament of three 24-pounders and two eleven and a half-inch mortars. The cannons sat on timbers on the cobblestone platform. *
* Unknown author. 1975. "Fort Rodney, 1778" Saint Lucia National Trust. HISTORIC SIGN 2018-03-11.