Trees at US Signal Station
A flowering tropical tree and Royal Poinciana trees laded with their percussive seed pods grace the saddle between the fort and the lookout on Pigeon Island.
US Signal Station, 1941
Nearly two centuries after Rodney recognized its importance, Pigeon Island was again used as a strategic base, during World War II. This US Signal Station was built over Rodney’s existing mortar battery dating from 1780, and Pigeon Island served as a US naval communications signal station until 1947.
The inclined cable lift, to the east, was used to haul up diesel fuel to power the generators. The wireless and transmitter receiving mast was atop Fort Rodney.*
* Unknown author. 1975. "US Signal Station, 1941" Saint Lucia National Trust. HISTORIC SIGN 2018-03-11.