new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Tree Stump at Fort Rodney | by Chris Hunkeler
Back to photostream

Tree Stump at Fort Rodney

A tree that grew into the stone wall of Fort Rodney has been chopped down to prevent further damage to the historic structure.

 

Pigeon Island, only some 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of the French base at Fort Royal, Martinique, had long been recognized by the British Admiral Rodney as an important observation and defensive site. In 1780 he wrote “… this is the post the Governor of Martinique had set his eye on and if possessed by the enemy would deprive us of the best anchorage place in these islands and from which Martinique is always attackable…”

 

Fort Rodney was built in 1778 with an armament of three 24-pounders and two eleven and a half-inch mortars. The cannons sat on timbers on the cobblestone platform. *

 

* Unknown author. 1975. "Fort Rodney, 1778" Saint Lucia National Trust. HISTORIC SIGN 2018-03-11.

 

SLU_1175

2,123 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on March 11, 2018