The Order of the Immaculate Conception was founded in Spain in 1448. A congregation was initiated in Quito in 1557, and in 1599, the Monasterio de la Inmaculada Concepción (a.k.a Monasterio de las Conceptas) was founded in Cuenca. It was established in an elegant house donated by Doña Leonor Ordóñez as a dowry for her three daughters. The current structure was built between 1682 and 1686. The church was constructed between 1720 and 1729, although the belfry was not completed until 1904. The complex was restored 1983-85, and in 1986 part of the convent and was opened to the public as Museo de las Conceptas. Its 18 exhibition rooms are dedicated to Andean religious art of the 17th through 19th centuries.
The Museum is structured around two lovely adjacent interior courtyards.