Vilnius: Church of our Lady of the Assumption
The Franciscan Church of our Lady of the Assumption was originally constructed in a Gothic style in the 14th century. It was consecrated in 1421. A fire damaged the church in 1533; the restoration took almost half a century. After a fire, the church was restored in a Baroque style between 1773 and 1785.
In 1812, the church was damaged by the French army; it serve as a storage facility after that. In 1872, the Gothic belfry was demolished. In 1934, the church was restored and returned to service. During the Soviet period, the church was used as an archive. It was returned to the Franciscans in 1995, however in poor condition. The church currently is being restored.