Tvøroyri - Faroe Islands
Tvøroyri (Danish: Tveraa) lies picturesquely on the north side of the Trongisvágsfjørður (fjord) on the east coast of Suðuroy.

The ferry from Tórshavn calls at Krambatangi that is located on the opposite side of the inlet. The trip from Tórshavn to Tvøroyri takes 2 hours.

The church in Tvøroyri rises high above the village and can be seen from far away. It was constructed in Norway as a building set, moved to Tvøroyri and then built here in 1907. The old church was moved to Sandvík.

In the centre of Tvøroyri, just above the harbour, is "Hotel Tvøroyri". Between the harbour and the hotel lies a square covered by flat stones. Fish used to be dried in the sun here. The Royal Trade Monopoly that had a branch here from 1836 to 1856 built the old houses in the area. The village of Tvøroyri was actually founded due to this branch.

When the monopoly was abolished in 1856, private companies were founded on Tvøroyri. One of these grew into the largest in the Faroe Islands. It had 20 branches and 30 ships. There also lies a museum in the area above the harbour. Tvøroyri has a large fillet-factory that initiated its production in 1975.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tv%c3%b8royri
213 photos · 1,704 views
1 3