Fámjin lies beautifully surrounded by high mountains on the west coast of Suðuroy. The church in Fámjin is from 1876. In the church there is a runestone from the 16th century (see Fámjin stone) and the prototype of the Faroese flag Merkið. The original name of the village was Vesturvík.

The population of Fámjin is around 100. During the summer months, however, the population increases significantly due to the many people from Fámjin who live in other villages on the Faroe Islands and in other countries, but return in the sheep herding and hay season, taking place from the beginning of July to the end of August. This is the case in many small Faroese villages.
121 photos · 1,038 views