Akraberg - Faroe Islands
Akraberg is the southern tip of Suðuroy, 5 km south from the village Sumba, Faroe Islands. The name Akraberg derives from akur (cereal field). Five kilometres south of Akraberg is the southernmost point of The Faroe Islands, a rock called Munkurin. The sound between Suðuroy and Munkurin is notorious for its strong current.

In 1909 a lighthouse and more family houses was build in Akraberg. Today, it is only a lighthouse and has no inhabitants.

Near Akraberg stands the medium wave station of Kringvarp Føroya, the Faroese broadcasting network.
These features are of unknown antiquity, but they have been associated with the possible pre-Viking precence of Irish monks or priests.

A Frisian colony was there from the year 1040 until The Black Death killed all of them in 1350. The Frisians remained heathen a long time after the rest of the Faroe Islands were christianised. It is said that they partly lived by piracy and they are mentioned in several Faeroese legends.

During World War II, Akraberg lighthouse and radio were serviced by technical Royal Air Force soldiers, working on one of the first radar stations, which scanned the water and air south of the Faroe Islands.

The lighthouse itself is 14m tall, it consists of a white cylindrical tower with red landtern roof. It was fitted with guy wires to withstand the wind drag on this southern headland. The focal plane is located at 94 m above sea level, a flash signal is given every 20 seconds with red, green and white sectors. If needed, a fog horn may be sounded every 60 seconds.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akraberg
68 photos · 999 views