Moultrie
In March and April of 1950, Pullman-Standard produced ten 36-seat dining cars with the following names: Atlanta, Birmingham, Cordele, Fitzgerald, Greenville, La Grange, Moultrie, Plant City, Talladega, and Tarboro. In May of that year, the RF&P received the 36-seat diner Henrico completed by the same car builder. Also in 1950, the Florida East Coast Railroad took delivery of two P-S built diners of the same series, the Fort Ribault and the Fort Drum. The body shell for one additional car of this type was built by Pullman-Standard in 1957. This work was completed at Atlantic Coast Line shops in December 1959 and the car was named Naples.

The Moultrie, originally owned by the ACL, operated on New York to Miami trains until 1971. With the formation of AMTRAK, the diner continued Florida service until 1981 when AMTRAK sold the car to a short-line dinner train operation in Virginia. The Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS purchased the car in 1989, completely upgrading the mechanical systems to AMTRAK standards and fully renovating the interior. It was assigned AAR reporting mark WATX 400.

The builder’s photo of the Moultrie may be seen in the Official Pullman-Standard Library, volume 7, Southeast Railroads. The Moultrie was selected out of the ten diners noted above to carry the builder’s photo for Pullman-Standard.
60 photos · 109 views