This box car was built April, 1954 for the Clinchfield Railroad. It was in road service on the Clinchfield until 1978 till it became a grocery salvage car for a food distributor in Johnson City, TN for cross town switching. #5586 was retired in 1986 and was headed to the scrap line by CSXT. In 1988 the Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS contacted the railroad about the possibility of purchasing the box car. The railroad agreed and the car was sandblasted and repainted by Corbin Rail Service in Erwin, TN to its original Clinchfield levy before its trip back to Jonesborough in 1988. The #5586 services as our work shop at the Spring St. Coach Yard today.
3 photos · 10 views