Iglesia y Convento del San Sebastián
Located at Plaza del Carmen, at the end of R. Hidalgo Street. A monument to the labors of the Recollect Fathers, the present building which is wholly made of steel was completed in 1891, after the first attempts of the Order to provide a dwelling fir for Our Lady of Carmel, venerated here, had been repeatedly balked by earthquakes.
Pure Gothic in architecture, it was brought in parts from Belgium. It is erected on a high platform of stone and has a handsome garden within its iron fence. It is 55 meters long and 25 meters wide.
To the visitor entering the church, the spectacle presented is imposing. The nave is majestic in height with its perfectly dimensioned pillars rising at a stroke to the roof and spreading into fan-like ribs. The cupola is exceedingly fine and in its majestic altitude bears wonderful frescoes.
Twelve windows made of stained glass brought from Europe, illustrate the life of Christ from the Annunciation to the Resurrection and the light streaming through the church fills the floor with a riot of color.
The painted panels of the pulpit, which is made of native wood, are worthy of inspection. A fresco of the Lady of Carmen and an arch, adorn the high organ loft, which bears a small but good organ brought over from Germany.