The medieval Pirita convent ruins in Tallinn, Estonia. The Bridgettine convent was built in early 15th century, and it used to be the largest convent in Livonia. The buildings housed separate quarters for monks and nuns. The convent has been in ruins since 1557, when the troops of Ivan the Terrible attacked it and burnt it down. The excavations conducted on the site since the early 20th century have revealed remarkable artefacts associated with everyday life in the convent.