St Peter's Church, Walsden, Calderdale
The church of St. Peter was built in 1845 on land donated by Mr. John Crossley of Scaitcliffe Hall. In the spring of 1848, the parochial schoolrooms at Henshaw Meadow were built, close to the church. The church was consecrated on 7th August 1848 in the presence of a congregation of 3000. The opening coincided with the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. Inscription above the Lych Gate : “Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.”
The first baptism recorded in Walsden Church had already taken place in 1845; the first marriage was on September 28th. 1848, and the first burial on October 23rd. 1848.
When the Duke of Wellington died in 1852, Rev. Dowty had the idea of raising funds for a Wellington Memorial organ. The funds were raised quickly, and in 1853 the organ was installed at a cost of £300.