Burscough Bridge Junction 1968.
Burscough Bridge Junction box was constructed by the L&YR in late 1921 and opened by the L&NWR in 1922. It was a L&YR box with a 40 lever L&YR frame. The north junction was disconnected on 16th July 1969 and the south branch reduced to a single-line siding on 28th June 1970. On 21st November 1976 a new signal, number 101, was fitted at Dean Lane Crossing, this was normally automatic, but was set for trains not stopping at Hoscar station. It was over-ridden by a switch on the block shelf, if a train for the Wigan direction was stopping at Hoscar. This altered the timing of the automatic barriers at Dean Lane and maintained 101 signal at danger until the barriers were down, the signal then automatically cleared to a green aspect and the train could proceed over the crossing. The north branch was not finally lifted until the mid-1970's, with the actual facing points outside Burscough Bridge Junction signal box not being removed until 14th May 1978. The south branch was disconnected on 27th June 1982, traffic to the MOD at Burscough having ceased in October 1981. On 8th August 1982 the remaining section of the goods yard was replaced with a run round loop for the Appley Bridge waste trains and the lever frame was reduced to 26 levers. The loop was taken out of use in 1990, after an equipment failure, and the waste trains then had to run round at Southport. The loop was officially closed on 9th May 1993. On 6th June 1993 an Individual Function Switch Panel was installed and the lever frame and remaining semaphore signals were removed. The panel was replaced by another Individual Function Switch Panel on 13th May 2013. The box is still open.