Aughton Road Box & LC 1967
First box north of Birkdale. Not a block post, but manned by signalmen, It opened in 1928 and was a Midland Railway type 4d box. The LM&SR constructed L&NWR type 5 boxes on the ex L&YR lines from 1923 to 1929, but in 1928 used two ex Midland Railway boxes, one at Aughton Road and the other at Eastbourne Road, south of Birkdale. This was possibly due to production of the L&NWR boxes being run down in readiness for the new standard LM&SR type 11 boxes that were introduced in 1929. The box contained a 15 lever LM&SR REC frame. No 1 lever initially controlled tram semaphore signals. From the end of 1971 signalmen were withdrawn from the box and Railmen-Crossing Keepers were employed instead. The box closed on 11th March 1994 and is preserved at Brookside Garden Centre, Poynton.