Heysham Nuclear Power station
No.1 'Lancaster', an Andrew Barclay-built 0-6-0 fireless locomotive (works No.1572 built in 1918) inside the shed at Nuclear Electric, Heysham on 5th July 1991. The second of a batch of four locos originally ordered by the Ministry of Munitions of War on 5th January 1918, this one was delivered new on 3rd January 1917 to Queensferry factory, Flintshire, painted green and brown crazy patchwork and named 'H M Factory Queensferry No.10'. Later sold to Lever Brothers Ltd, Port Sunlight, but by December 1924 sold again to Lancaster Power Station and was named 'Lancaster'. Upon the closure of the power station in 1981 it was acquired by Nuclear Electric and worked alongside a smaller fireless loco also acquired from Lancaster power station. By the time of this photo being taken, both were spare to two battery locomotives and were immaculately maintained in the equally immaculate loco shed. There were even white cloths on the floor beneath the motion and cylinders! The loco survives today, although not on view to the public, at the West Coast Railway Co. Carnforth depot.
© Copyright Gordon Edgar - No unauthorised use