Heading away to Dunaskin
On 27th August 1971, the fireman is working hard shovelling coal onto the loco's footplate from the auxilliary 'tender' as Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank 'No.10' (works No.2244 built in 1947) thrashes across the moors with a full load from Minnivey Colliery for Dunaskin Washery, a distance of approximately four miles. The last deep mine on the Waterside system, Pennivenie Colliery, ceased winding in 1978, bringing an end to steam working on this wonderful system. 'No.10' was acquired by the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Society in March 1980 and is now in working order at the Dunaskin centre of the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group (arpg.org.uk/wp/)
© Copyright Gordon Edgar - No unauthorised use.