Lighthouses Of Door County - Baileys Harbor Range Lights
The Baileys Harbor Range Lights are located in the Ridges Nature Sanctuary just north of Baileys Harbor in Door County, Wisconsin and were built in 1870 at a cost of $6,000. The front light is an octagonal wooden tower 21-feet high and had a range of 11 miles. The tower held a Fifth Order Fresnel lens which was removed after the lights were deactivated in the 1960's. The rear light was held in a square wooden tower atop the keeper's dwelling located 950 feet behind the front light. The rear light was 35-feet high and had a range of 13 miles. The rear light also held a Fifth Order Fresnel lens. The structure appears similar to an old schoolhouse. In 1969 they were both decommissioned and another single tower was built with a light to guide sailors into Baileys Harbor. The Baileys Harbor Range Lights replaced the old Baileys Harbor Lighthouse in the outer harbor that was built in 1852. Other structures on the grounds include a brick oil house (circa 1900) and a clapboard privy (circa 1920). Taken on 10/10/10.