Užutrakis Manor on Lake Galvė II
Užutrakis Manor, on the shore of Lake Galvė in Trakai, Lithuania, is a country house built for the wealthy Tyszkiewicz family at the turn of the 20th Century. It was designed by Józef Huss and erected in 1896-1901. It is a square-shaped building with two floors above the basements.
The palace was surrounded by a large park along the shore of Lake Galvė, English gardens to one side and French to the other, designed by French gardener Édouard André.
In 1940, the property was confiscated by the Soviet authorities. After the Second World War, the palace was transformed into a guest house for KGB officers. Later there was a pioneer camp for children of high-ranking officials, and even later a tourist center was set up here. After Lithuania regained its independence, the palace and the entire park were transferred to Trakaj’s Historical National Park.
The manor and grounds were thoroughly renovated between 2002-6. Currently, the palace hosts exhibitions, concerts, festivals and other cultural events