Image from page 459 of "The Worcester of eighteen hundred and ninety-eight. Fifty years a city" (1899)
Publisher: Worcester, Mass., F. S. Blanchard & company
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ee stories high,was the nucleus of the present extensive Grove street works. About 1840Mr. Washburn bought and occupied the South Worcester property, in recentyears operated by the Worcester Wire Company, and before 1850 the Ouin-sigamond location was acquired. During this period Charles W^ashburn, abrother of Ichabod, was in partnership in the business, the firm name beingI. & C. Washburn; and later a new company was formed known as Wash-burn, Moen & Company, Henry S. Washburn and Philip L. Moen being thenew partners. Through various changes this concern became in 1869 theWashburn & Moen Manufacturing Company, with a capital of $1,000,000,and authority to increase the amount to $1,500,000. From wire for card-teeth and other common varieties, the output of theestablishment was probably first greatly increased by the demand for tele-graph wire in 1847 and later. In 1S50 the manufacture of piano wire wasattempted, and the Worcester product soon superseded the English wire in
Text Appearing After Image:
PHILIP L. MOEN. H
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.