Rioghan the Search Dog
Explore #407, 5/24/08.
[Update] I just moved this previously posted image up to let you know that Rioghan passed his certification test for area search, recently, and is now qualified to go out with us (Southwest Search Dogs) on actual searches. Congratulations, Rioghan and owner/handler Lauren! (Previously posted on 5/21/08.)
Tutorial: Quick and Dirty Black Background in PhotoShop CS3.
• Select Quick Selection tool from Quick Selection/Magic Wand flyout.
• Click on Add to Selection (+) in upper left corner.
• Click and Drag the tool near the edges, but completely outside, of the subject.
• If part of the subject is accidentally selected, hold down the Alt key and click over the the part you want to deselect. Zoom in and/or adjust your brush size to make a finer selection.
• When you're satisfied with your selection, choose Select --> Modify --> Feather (Alt+Ctl+D), then enter Radius (I used 1 on this photo).
• Choose Select --> Inverse (Shft+Ctl+I).
• Choose Layer --> New --> Layer via Cut (Shft+Ctl+J).
• In the Layers Palette, click on the background layer. Type "D" to select default foreground/background colors, then type "Alt-Backspace" to fill background layer with black.
That's all there is to it. If you want to, experiment with different backgrounds. For example, with just a couple of clicks, I made the clouds background below. First, I set the foreground color to blue, then I chose Filter --> Render --> Clouds. I know, they're not very realistic, but it sure is easy.