The Cannon Cinema in Huddersfield was first used as an entertainment hall in 1905 when it opened as the Hippodrome Theatre, converted from former stables. It was enlarged (to 1,474 seats) in 1928 and began showing films in 1930. Became an Essoldo in 1957. Modernised and seating reduced to 495 in 1969 after a fire in the cinema. Became a Classic in 1972 and a second screen (214 seats) was added on the former stage. Became the Tudor Cinema 1995 and closed in 1998. The building was stripped and converted to a pub.