Brimstone Hill Fortress - St. Kitts
Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park is a well-preserved fortress on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. It is one of the best preserved historical fortifications in the Americas.
Construction of the fortress began in 1689 by the French. It was captured by the British in 1690. It went on to be held by the British, the French and then back to the British. The fortress was abandoned by the British in 1853.
It has been called the 'Gibraltar of the West Indies' and the 'Gibraltar of the Caribbean'.
It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The fortress is definitely worth a visit when on St. Kitts.
The picture shows Fort George and the Eastern Place of Arms. The cannon point to the mountains. The were to defend against land based attacks from the east.