India Railways - Class WCG-1 electric locomotive Nr. 20042 in 1968
41 of these locomotives were supplied to the Great Indian Peninsula Railway in 1928 for use on the Bombay-Poona section for heavy freights. Originally class EF/1, the first few were made by the Swiss Locomotive Works (SLM Winterthur), and more by the Vulcan Foundry (with electricals from Metropolitan Vickers). They had four 650 hp motors (total power often quoted as 2610hp), driving two three-axle bogies through connecting rods.
Locally they were known as "khekda" ("crab"). They made a curious moaning sound when at rest, and while on the run an unusual swishing sound from the link motion could be heard.
Their unusual features included an articulated body which made them ideal for use in the heavily curved ghat sections. They also featured regenerative braking (Newport-Shildon, UK). They were known for their superior tractive characteristics on the ghat sections; however, the exposed link mechanism had to be oiled very frequently in all kinds of weather.
They were later used as bankers on the Karjat-Lonavla section, and remained in regular shunting duties until 1992. The remaining ones of this class are at the Wadi Bunder locomotive shed. The first WCG-1 locomotive was named "Sir Leslie Wilson".