Palestine Railways - Kantara (alt. Qantara) East train station (Suez Canal Zone) in 1933
A 1933 view of Kantara East station, on the British-built Haifa to Cairo railway line. It was here that passengers, in both directions, used to cross the Suez Canal, on the long journey across the Sinai desert by train
To the left is the Customs House, and more to the right, the station's nameboard reads "Kantara East Station - for Palestine, Syria, Trans Jordan and Iraq - and for Sleeping Car through service Cairo - Calais - London"
The Haifa to Cairo line was abandoned, around seventy years ago, and no trains pass here anymore. A recent Egyptian report indicates that at least 70% of the original track in Sinai was dismantled and removed for private use