Stewed Beef Shin (燉牛腱)
Served cold or warm, stewed beef shin is a classic home cooked dish. You can add a variety/layers of flavor, make it sweet, spicy, five spice or even dunk it in wine.
Here's how I make mine:
500g beef shin
soya sauce (dark and light)
1. blanch the beef shin (whole) in boiling water, until just cooked on the outside
2. remove the excess water
3. add whole gloves of garlic and sliced ginger into pot
4. return the beef shin to the pot
5. add sugar, dark soya sauce for coloring, and a dash of light soya sauce for flavoring (will final seasoning later)
6. add a dash of rice wine
7. cook at the lowest temperature setting, until the beef is tender
8. add water if needed (the sauce should thicken during the cooking process, do not add too much water, the end result should be a slightly thickened sauce)
9. season with salt, chicken powder (optional flavors include chili oil or honey)
10. slice the beef shin
11. sprinkle some spring onions, and serve cold or warm!