Hermitage Of S.Caterina Del Sasso
A legend tells that in 1170 a rich merchant, Alberto (Besozzi family - Arolo), while he was sailing with his boat on the lake, a storm breaks over him. He trusted in S. Caterina (Alessandria) and decided to do penance if he survived the storm; so he avoid dead and once landed, he went to live alone in the place where now is the monastery. In 1195 Alberto stroke against the plague that hit the surroundings and, following the revelation of the angel, he made the "sacello" to be build like the one hosting the remains of S. Caterina on the Sinai. In 1205 when he died his corpse was buried in the chapel near S. Caterina. The monastery was built after the miracle, so the supernatural help continued to draw his life. When in 600 some stones fell on Alberto's grave, destiny wanted them to stop a few cm from the soil and made them to pose quietly on the land years later. This event contributed to associate definitively the pray zone with the miracle. Since 1379, it was the territory of hermits, in 1670 belonged to the Carmelite friars and afterwards in the 2nd half of 1700 was cancelled. The province of Varese bought and financed long restorations, ended in 1986. Its structure was entitled to some Dominicans friars.