Invercargill water tower
With wooden buildings and low pressure, there was always a danger of fire, so in 1889, Invercargill Borough Council decided to build a water tower. Rate payers wanted a water tower, but not where it was proposed, so the architect/engineer William Sharp suggested disguising the steel tank with an elaborate brick tower.
Twelve months later and 300,000 bricks, Invercargill had a 42 metre high landmark. The original cupola was dismantled in 1934 but a replica created in 1989 when the brickwork was restored.