Story: The art director on this is one of my favorite art directors to work with. We have worked together on a few projects for this cosmetics company and it's been a huge pleasure every time. She gives me the space to do my best work. This time around when she called I was very excited but I had no idea what I was getting into. I had no idea how hard this shot was going to be. Initially I had expected the powder to react kind of like fine sand and I proposed an idea based on that. When I started working with it though it was more like fine flour and that completely changed what I was able to do. Next challenge was that my dynalite pack is not even close to as fast as it claims to be. I did a lot of testing and it was completely impossible to stop the powder in the air using my dynalite gear. In the end I had to use my speedlights but I was able to make something work. The final piece for the client evolved quite a bit from here but since I have different final goals this is where I am happy.
Lighting: There is two different light setups here. For the containers it's two bare dynalite 2040 heads turned 45 degrees away from the subject. They are aimed into a piece of foamcore that is folded into a 90 degree angle on either side. There is also a a snooted 2040 head for the open compact on top. Then for the powder it's two sigma 530dg super speedlights. Sometimes they are aimed into the foamcore and some times they are close and pointed right at the powder.