This pizza was made to try out three raw, organic, probiotic cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella, and the best colby I've ever tasted) that we got at the Midwest Organic Farming Conference. The sauce was called www.recipezaar.com/Ultimate-Pizza-Sauce-114392, and it was truly fantastic. I will definitely take the reviewers' suggestion next time and make a quadruple batch to freeze.
Ultimate Pizza Sauce
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup celery, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
* 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (we left this out in order to highlight the other cheeses)
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 small bay leaf
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed (though I used rosemary instead, and it was lovely)
1. In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
2. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
4. Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
5. Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.